Friday, May 21, 2010

what is a "pic of the day"/

I guess it is pretty obvious - a picture of the day - but I will give a little background info. For quite a few years, I have been sending a group of about 20 friends and family (sometimes more, sometimes a little less) a pic of the day when the mood struck me. usually I was travelling, often I was shooting one of the houses for my book, Handcrafted Modern, or on a commercial job. Many of them were shot on my iphone. The idea behind it was twofold. 1) who doesn't like to see a pretty picture waiting in their inbox. A little mental vacation to take at some point in their day. 2) I just had to share some of the amazing things I was seeing when I was shooting my book with people who I knew would get it! I was pretty sporadic about it. When I was travelling there would be one a day and then everyone would know I was out of town, etc. With this blog, I plan to be much more consistent about it. Here is one I shot last year on my way to shoot the Eames house. I ended up driving the coast down through Big Sur so I could stop for a glass of wine and a really good meal at the Big Sur Bakery (super yum for those of you who aren't familiar!). The light in Big Sur is so indescribable sometimes. It is obvious why Edward Weston and Henry Miller and all those other icons of art and life settled on this part of the California coast. This is still a favorite shot of mine. When I look at it, I convince myself I can smell the ocean and the scent of cypress trees. A perfect picture to end the week.

1 comment:

  1. I can smell the cypress now that you mentioned it's the view near the Eames house!

    ReplyDelete